PARISH EVENTS AND SERVICES DURING COVID 19 RESPONSE
Out of an abundance of caution and in an effort to protect the most vulnerable among us from the Covid 19 Virus, Bishop DiMarzio has dispensed the faithful from the obligation to attend Sunday Mass until further notice and has prohibited the celebration of Mass publicly.
However, parish life at Sacred Hearts-St. Stephen Parish has changed, not ended, in order to ensure the safety and well being of all, most especially the most vulnerable in our parish.
Due to the restrictions placed on the gathering of people, including the public celebration of Mass, the following accommodation have been made so that the faithful may continue to live in the life of the Church trusting in the Lord and asking for His blessings and mercy:
- All parish facilities of Sacred Hearts – St. Stephen Parish are scheduled for a professional cleaning and floor resurfacing on March 21 & 22. This includes: The Main Church, Chapel, Cabrini Hall, Rectory Hall & Rectory offices/common spaces.
Ways to Stay Connected
- If you do not currently receive our monthly parish e-mails, please sign up for our e-newsletter on the parish homepage (HERE). This will allow us the ability to communicate with you.
- If you are on Facebook, please “Like” the Sacred Hearts & St. Stephen Catholic Church public page (HERE) and also join the Sacred Hearts-St. Stephen Parish Brooklyn group (HERE). This will allow you to view Facebook live Masses and Services as well receive messages and updates.
- Msgr. Massie will be posting reflections on the readings of the day on Facebook daily.
Attending Mass & Services
- All Masses (Weekday & Sunday) will be celebrated for the scheduled intentions starting Monday, March 16, 2020 privately without the public in the Church.
- All weekday Masses (Monday – Saturday) will be celebrated at 8:30 AM and streamed Live for everyone to attend virtually on our Facebook pages.
- Sunday 10 AM Mass will be streamed Live for everyone to attend virtually on our Facebook pages.
- Stations of the Cross will be held every Friday at 7 PM live on Facebook from the Church for all to participate in. You can participate by reading along here in English or in Italiano while watching live on Facebook.
- The Rosary will be prayed every Thursday at 7 PM live on Facebook from the Church for all to participate in. Follow along with the text (Here).
- Holy Week services (including Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday) cannot be celebrated in public. However, they will be celebrated and livestreamed on our Facebook page from our Church.
- Out of an abundance of caution especially the most vulnerable, Funerals and weddings will not be permitted in church by order of the Diocese of Brooklyn. This is because limiting the funerals and weddings to 10 people is proving not to be feasible. If absolutely necessary, a graveside service, maintaining the recommendations of the CDC regarding social distancing, could be done, at the discretion of the cemetery administration. A memorial Mass for the deceased should be celebrated later.
Church Hours for Visitation & Office Hours
- The Diocese of Brooklyn has mandated that all Churches remain close even for private prayer in order to protect the public.
13. The Diocese of Brooklyn has mandated that all Rectory offices be closed for regular business until further notice. You may always call the rectory at 718-596-7750 or email email@example.com if you would like to speak to a priest or need help.
Those without Internet Access
- Since not all have the ability to access the internet, Msgr. Massie will be calling parishioners to check in on them throughout the week. He will begin with those who may not have internet access, the elderly and those who usually attend weekday Mass. If you know someone who would like a call from Msgr. Massie and is not able to connect with the parish online please email their name and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org and Msgr. Massie will contact them.
- For those who are financially able to continue to support the parish during this time we encourage you to sign up for e-giving (HERE) so that we may be able to continue the ministry of the church during this critical time.
Parish Religious Education and Catholic Schools
- Regular parish CCD classes held on Sundays and Wednesdays are postponed for the time being. Likewise, all activities related to our children’s faith-formation program such as the Sunday 7th grade seminar, Stations of the Cross practices, Confirmation mentoring sessions, and Child Lures training are also postponed for the time being.
- The elementary Catholic Academies and Parish Schools in the Diocese of Brooklyn will close next week, Monday, March 16 to Friday, March 20. Monday will be used as a professional day for teachers to develop their distance learning plans. We anticipate that beginning Tuesday, children in the Diocese of Brooklyn’s Academies and Schools will have access to online learning.
The health of all the faithful of our parish is of utmost concern, so let us continue to pray to the Lord Who is a healer to protect us and bring about quickly an end to this present crisis through the intercession of His Mother Mary under the title of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Holy Week 2020 Mass & Service Schedule, April 4th – 12th
Palm Sunday: 10 AM Mass
Holy Thursday: 7 PM Super of the Lord
Good Friday: 3 PM Passion Service
7 PM Virtual Procession
Holy Saturday: 8 PM Easter Vigil
Easter Sunday: 10 AM Easter Mass